Re: net-tools future

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 02:30:18PM -0300, Martín Ferrari wrote:

> About the wrapper scripts:
>  * ipconfig, route: the most difficult ones, both can be replaced by
> calls to "ip", maybe except for some obscure options.

Suggestion about the wrapper scripts.  It would be nice if they had a
mode enabled by an environment variable or a command-line option which
printed the equivalent "ip" commands which they issued, so people can
learn the new "ip" interface if they are so interested.

Also, I'd recommend making the scripts carefully cover 100% of the
ifconfig, route, and netstat commands, since these commands have a
very long history, and are extremely well known by many sysadmins, and
used in many, *many* shell scripts.

						- Ted