Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:41:36PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > The point is that, since we can predict the need for this information,
> > we have the choice of assuming the information is there when we
> > distribute and never looking for it until the need arises in the face of
> > such a threat, or looking for it in advance of distribution and hence in
> > advance of exposure to that threat. I think it's clear that the latter
> > option is preferable.
>
> Er, I'm certainly not going to pay any attention who the copyright holders
> are for various files in something I'm packaging.  I care about the
> license; why should I care in the slightest whether the listed copyright
> holder is one name or some other name?

Of course, this isn't just about the legal issues.

Including the copyright statement is a form of attribution, and is good manners.

I also see that the copyright file is primarily useful to end users who may want
a convenient way of browsing the copyright and licence information.

Best,