Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:58:14AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> The real problem here is that FTP masters require the list of copyright
> holders to be up-to-date each time the package goes through NEW.
>
> Whatever justification exists for this requirement, I???m starting to find
> it unacceptable. If a package has to go through NEW, it takes about
> twice as much time to update this list than to do the actual packaging
> work.
>
> Why is this list needed?

Often the license requires it.  For instance the BSD license says,
"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright".

To me, it seems like since one has to go through all of the source files
anyway, creating a list of copyright holders while you are doing it is a
trivial task.  I don't see why making this list takes any time at all
really.  Unless you are not actually looking at the code you upload,
which would worry me for other reasons as well.

stew