Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

>> Note: I’m not contesting the need for the license check. This one is
>> useful, and strictly checking the accuracy of licenses in
>> debian/copyright is clearly needed. But I don’t think there’s any use
>> having an up-to-date list of copyright holders in there.

> You don't think the correct copyright status information should be in
> the package at all? Or you don't think it should be in a single
> documented location?

I'm not sure it needs to be anywhere at all, except for those notices that
are legally required by the license to be preserved.  In some cases, that
does include the copyright statements, but it doesn't always.  If the
upstream license doesn't require that we preserve the copyright statement
(or if upstream doesn't have them), I'm not sure we need to be requiring
that they be collected into debian/copyright.

I could be missing something, though.