Re: net-tools future

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 14:30 -0300, Martín Ferrari wrote:
[...]
>  * nameif: can be replaced by "ip link", not sure if it's worth the
> effort (does anybody actually use it?)

Never heard of it, and it seems redundant with udev now.  There's also
ifrename.

> Problematic tools:
>  * mii-tool: it could be dropped and replaced by a pointer to ethtool as
> it's not meant to be used automatically by scripts. On the other hand,
> it's distributed as a stand-alone tool [0] and we could do the same.
[...]

Note that ethtool cannot yet provide all of the information mii-tool
does (#511392).  I hope to submit patches to the kernel and ethtool to
fix this, though.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer