Re: Making some tags mandatory

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 03:59:46PM +0100, Carsten Hey wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:01:49PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 02:42 +0100, Carsten Hey wrote:
> > > Deborphan needs a way to detect shared libraries ...
> > [...]
> > There is already a role::plugin which should apply to PAM modules.
> role::plugin seems to fit.  How do we ensure that all PAM, Apache, Roxen
> modules, all DSPAM backends and so on must be tagged role::plugin?  Is
> there some kind of debtag policy where such things can be specified?

At the moment there is no way to ensure it; the point of the proposal
that I sent Cc-ed to debian-dak is precisely to make at least some
debtags tags official enough to expect DDs to use them properly.

That will probably have as a side effect the need to clarify several
corner cases and formalize and document better the way in which those
official tags should be used.

The idea, however, would be to have a tag whose point is "shared
libraries pulled in as dependencies: package managers can safely hide
these".  deborphan can use that, and it can be formalized by adding
"deborphan will uninstall these packages if no other package depends on
it".

role::app-data is probably also something that deborphan can deal with.

The reason I haven't pushed for such changes yet, is because I don't
have a way to specially control the workflow of tags that need it: once
a tool depends on a tag for some important choice, a different workflow
is needed where changes to that tag need to be checked more carefully.

I am planning a redesign of the Debtags web interface to introduce the
possibility of such special workflows (see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2009-February/001935.html)
and the proposal that I just posted to -devel also has the effect to
provide special workflow for some tags so that we can rely on them more.

> sepecial::safely-removable or the existing special::auto-inst-parts.
> The latter is currently only partly useful for deborphan since only very
> few libraries are marked with this tag:
[...]
> Are there any plans to either tag all safely removable shared libraries
> with special::auto-inst-parts or remove this tag from the ones that
> already got it?

Yes, that tag is neglected, and should disappear: the idea is that
'safely removable' packages are already quite identifiable by 'role'
tags, and there is no need to repeat that information.

It's there until someone feels like reviewing all packages tagged with
it and seeing if they indeed all fit in role::shared-lib and
role::app-data or if there are other corner cases in significant number
worth of special attention.

> I guess all tags will be included in /var/lib/dpkg/status before
> sections will be removed from Debian, is this correct?

All implementation details have to be decided.  By gut feeling I would
not bet on 'status', but I would assume that at least 'apt-cache
dumpavail' will give you the tags.

Ciao,

Enrico