Re: Upcoming Section changes in the archive

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:59:27AM +0000, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:07:35PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> > We plan on changing the current sections in the archive. With the rapid
> > growth of archive, many of them have become too big to be useful anymore.

> I propose 'oldlibs' to be renamed to 'deprecated'.

> That would also fit, for example, packages abandoned upstream, or
> packages that have a better alternative, but that still have users.

> It will also provide a path for planning removals of packages from the
> archive, when the maintainer is still ok with maintaining a package and
> fixing its bugs, but in his/her long term plan the package should
> eventually go away.

There are tools that understand the special meaning of the 'oldlibs' section
and treat it specially; at least deborphan comes to mind, there may be
others.  I don't see the necessity for such a section rename, but if it
happens I think it needs to be announced in advance and coordinated.