Re: Python related changes for unstable/squeeze

Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 10:09 -0800, Ondrej Certik a écrit :
> Unfortunately from both of you I only met Matthias in person (in
> Prague at the Ubuntu Developer Summit), but what I understood is that
> there are some technical reasons why python-central is better.

I’d be happy to hear these reasons; I’m always eager to improve
python-support when there is room to.

Currently I know one reason why you could consider python-central
better: this is because it installs files at the same place the upstream
packages do. This avoids breaking some (bad) packages’ expectations. I
have two remarks about this:
      * The python-support README has documented for long how to work
        around this problem if you encounter it (remember it concerns a
        handful of packages).
      * If python-support was the only tool to write files
        to /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, there would be no problem
        with using this directory. However there are packages using
        python-central and packages shipping files directly there, so it
        is simply not possible without losing the advantages of
        python-support (like, not introducing 50 RC bugs every time
        something is changed).

Besides, I could show you several reasons why python-support is
superior, and at least one why python-central is broken.

> Josselin, it's true that if you were discussing with me in the same
> tone as you are with Matthias, it will not make me very happy

But I am not using this tone with you, and the reason is that you are
behaving correctly.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :