Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:00:04PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > For that reason I suggest that ispell, iamerican and ibritish entries
> > be modified *right now* to be optional instead of standard. wbritish
> > seems to be already optional.
>
> For most languages tasksel will automatically install relevant
> dictionaries. It currently does not do so for English _because_ those
> packages are priority standard (and have been for a long time).
> IMO we should be consistent between languages in that respect, and
> especially for English.
>
> It is now too late in the release cycle to change task definitions
> to "compensate" for the priority change and test such changes, and the
> change could also have consequences for debian-cd.
>
> Therefore, as member of the Debian Installer team, I have requested for
> these changes to be postponed until after the release.

Knowing that, I agree with your point. ftpmasters, please forget what I proposed
about ispell, iamerican and ibritish until lenny is out.

Regarding what to do with wamerican once lenny is released, I think the
change needs more discussion. As Russ Allbery explained, /usr/share/dict/words
is something people historically expects in a standard unix system (and it
contained originally an american wordlist). I am for keeping it standard.

Regards,

--
Agustin