Re: Override changes standard -> optional

Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> writes:

> Every system with a network uses mtr or traceroute.  If the system's
> owner doesn't use them then the sysadmin does.

Well, YMMV.  I'm a professional sysadmin and I hardly ever use traceroute.
I don't really care if it's installed or not, but it's not particularly
useful in a lot of local networks and it's rarely the diagnosis tool I
need.  It depends on how complex your network is and how likely things are
to fail at routers that announce themselves in traceroute.

(strace, however, I use constantly.  But I'm also capable of installing it
when I need it.)

> Downgrading any packages this close to Lenny is a serious mistake.

This is the time in the release when we do this.  ftp-master is
responsible for setting priorities archive-wide and ensuring they're
consistent, and except immediately before the release, the archive is in
too much flux to usefullly keep tweaking it.  It makes a lot more sense to
take a moment right before deep freeze and do a pass across the entire
archive.

This is also the time when the Debian CD team is testing final builds
before release, and they're heavily impacted by priority settings and will
find oddities at this point.