Re: Adoption of Nix?

Sorry, I forgot about the debian-devel for the second time. :(

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Artyom Shalkhakov <artyom.shalkhakov@gmail.com>
Date: 2008/12/24
Subject: Re: Adoption of Nix?
To: Всеволод Величко <torkvemada@nigma.ru>

Hi Vsevolod,

2008/12/24 Всеволод Величко <torkvemada@nigma.ru>:

> Well, as I see, it uses it's own package format, which is
> wrapper-description around everything - source, deb or rpm. Does it
> really have any sense?

"Every problem in computer science can be solved by adding
a layer of indirection", as the saying goes.

> We have our deb and src packages, do we really need any
> wrappers, that make us possible to install rpms? For what
> purposes?
> Surely, dpkg always allows you to rollback any installed
> packages. You just sometimes have to rollback half of all your
> packages - in accordance with dependencies.

> I've just looked to the structure of that package format - it also
> requires to write dependencies - so what in it deals with 'em better?
> I really don't understand.

The difference is *purity*, which means that Nix expressions
are *deterministic*. And that's what really makes them better.

> Can it work with sections like "Recommends" or "Suggests"?

I don't know this yet, but I think it's nearly trivial to add.

> And, of course, for the 2-3 versions of each package will make debian
> security team curse you for ages. Consider it :)

Thanks for the advice, point taken. :)

Cheers,
Artyom Shalkhakov.

PS do you work for Nigma, an "intelligent search engine"?