Re: Josselin Mouette and Planet Debian

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 08:31:15PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:11:25AM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > > No, the problem is that certain of our French developers *think* that the
> > > rest of the world just doesn't understand their French humor and that
> > > something has been lost in translation.
>
> > > When the reality is that we understand it just fine, and think they're
> > > assholes for it.
>
> > > It's only a cultural difference if you're counting Kindergarten as a
> > > "culture".
>
> > I find this strange, given that not too long ago you categorized the
> > participants of debian-legal as "wankers".
>
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/12/msg00174.html
>
> > Joss' messages can be understood as pretty bad humor. Was your message
> > above also meant as a joke?
>
> No.  What part of that message would lead you to think I was joking?
Nothing lead me to that, but then I'm not a native English speaker, so I
may overlook subtleties.

> > Or do you need to let of some steam here, because such behaviour is
> > unacceptable on Ubuntu lists?
>
> There's no ubuntu-legal list infested with leeches who think it's their
> business to tell Ubuntu how to interpret its own license requirements
> without ever having contributed a line of code to Ubuntu, so I don't think
> the analogy holds.

Sorry, but I don't think the idea of 'politeness' differs so much over
different mailing lists. Either you don't insult people or you do. And
my point wasn't about debian-legal, obviously. But rather about people
insulting people one day and then finger-pointing at other people
insulting other people the next day.

If you expect a certain behaviour, the best start is showing it
yourself.

	Thomas