Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

Manoj Srivastava (2008-12-17 17:02 -0600) wrote:

>         If there is sufficient support, we could also scrap the
>  current vote, change our ballot, add options to it, or something, and
>  restart the vote, but that would need a strong grass roots support (I
>  do not think the secretary has the power to do so).

I don't know if non-developers' opinions count but since from the
outside Debian seems to be pretty much an open community I'll voice my
opinion anyway.

I've been following the firmware and voting discussion very closely and
I think that changing and restarting the vote would _definitely_ be the
right thing. In a democratic decision-making it's too dangerous to
conduct a ballot which (many) people can't trust. I think this is
clearly the case here: many seemingly intelligent people with good
arguments are unhappy with the ballot, how it is organized etc., and
will likely have hard time trusting the results. This ballot may
potentially cause damage for Debian.

So, no matter whose "fault" the current situation is or who has the
constitutional power to do what. I think the most important thing is to
act towards maintaining people's trust to the decision-making process.
May I suggest restarting the discussion and vote? Please?

(Just an opinion from a happy Debian Lenny user. Thank you for creating
and working for such a great operating system.)