Re: problems with the concept of unstable -> testing

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 23:38, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
wrote:
> I find it very strange to see people complaining about the long freeze,
> instead of working on making it shorter.
>
> If we decouple the freeze from development in unstable, the result will
> that less people will be working on releasing, thus the freeze will take
> even longer.

There are however some benefits to decoupling which can reduce the time taken
to fix some bugs.

If a package has a bug in testing but a newer version in unstable doesn't have
the bug, then it makes it easier for the person who reports the bug to
discover this fact and note it in the bug report.  Then the maintainer can
diff the packages to try and find the fix.  This could in some situations
allow the maintainer to fix a bug that they can't reproduce.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog