Re: bug-squashing party held at MIT SIPB

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 02:47:18 -0500
Greg Price <price@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>  * Waseem Daher closed #436140 as unreproducible
>  * Tim Abbott fixed #476525, NMU'd by Sam Hartman
>  * Evan Broder fixed #507071, NMU'd by Karl Ramm
>  * Sam Hartman downgraded #507072
>  * Nelson Elhage downgraded #504626 with Sam Hartman's advice
>  * Quentin Smith reassigned #502845 to the correct package,
>    and a maintainer downgraded it
>  * Benjamin Mako Hill tweaked and sponsored a fix for #489501
>  * Anders Kaseorg identified the upstream fix for #508265
>  * Eric Price diagnosed #506057 and suggested a fix
>  * Xavid Pretzer, Sam Freilich, Peter Iannucci, and Jameson Nash
>    studied #506478, identified the complex upstream change that
>    incidentally fixed the bug, and proposed a simple fix for Debian

(s/506478/506748/ - just a typo that confused me for a while.)
#506748 Package: rtorrent (extra;)
crash rtorrent by scgi-interface (function: 'fi.get_filename_last')

>  * Greg Price cloned #505440 into #508686 and added a patch,
>    which fixes the problem behavior in #426465

> That leaves 105 RC bugs now remaining that affect both testing and
> unstable, with all of today's decrease due to our changes.  Some of
> our fixes may further decrease the count if maintainers upload our
> patches.

Congratulations and thank you for the hard work on the bugs.

> We're pleased with the results of this bug-squashing party, both in
> moving lenny a few small steps toward release and in inducting more
> young people into contributing to Debian and free software.  Other
> local groups should consider doing similar events.

Hmm, that's a very good idea - need to do something like this in the
UK, extending an existing idea for a BSP early in the New Year.

> PS - For anyone thinking about a similar event, here's a bit of
> Python code we found useful for producing a list of relevant bugs:
>   http://debathena.mit.edu/debian-bts/bugs-html
>   http://debathena.mit.edu/debian-bts/rcbugs.py
> Sample output is here:
>   http://debathena.mit.edu/debian-bts/bugs.html

More used to seeing the list in alphabetical order by package rather
than numerical order by bug number but that's a minor tweak.

--

Neil Williams