Re: Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

On Tuesday 09 December 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:52:44 +0000
>
> David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
> > Why not remove the -dev packages first.
>
> That would make every reverse dependency instantly buggy with
> release-critical FTBFS bugs! No thanks! It must be possible to build
> all packages in Lenny only from the Debian source packages which,
> sadly, means retaining all -dev packages necessary for those builds.
> What we have must be buildable from source.
>
> > I realise that this would break the build-depends, but I suppose it
> > is meant to.
>
> It makes it impossible to release the reverse dependencies in Lenny.

Well perhaps what is needed is a way of marking a package as deprecated,
and this was what I was trying (badly) to achieve.  Better to be explicit.

This would trigger a warning whenever it was built rather than actually
stopping it being build.  That way package maintainers would gets warning
in good time that they need to make the required changes before the
package is actually removed.

David