Re: Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
<snip>
For whom is the Debian distribution? Is it created to satisfy the needs of only the packagers and developers? If so, it is absolutely logical to get rid of everything a couple of years past expiry date.

<snip>
So I am not advocating keeping every bit of software around. In this discussion, I am advocating keeping GTK+ 1.2 around. The LIBRARIES. I am not opposed to weeding out out-dated applications that make use of it, if reasonable replacements are available.

But Libraries represent a resource for _others_ than packagers and developers.

Cheers,
Morten

Morten,

I understand where you are coming from but it also becomes an issue of resources. We already have a buttload of orphaned and/or QA maintained packages. If we keep every version of every library out there how do we support it? Look at libnet0. It's orphaned but has several depends while libnet1 exists. Who's taking care of those users? Should we keep every version of glibc in the archive? How about all the gnome1 stuff?

BTW, I don't care if GTK+ 1.2 stays or goes but I do care about unmaintained stuff hanging around.

Just my worthless $.02 :)

Barry deFreese