Promoting free PDF readers (was Re: Popular packages in Ubuntu that is missing in Debian/main)

Hi there!

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:12:55 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> But anyway, and knowing this is not an Ubuntu list... Does anybody
>> know why on Earth is Acroread popular? Why isn't a PDF regularly
>> handled in a saner way with Evince (or kde-based lookalike) in some
>> distributions?
>
> Zillions of websites promote acroread via links and thumbnails. I've yet
> failed to find a site with a pdf and that 'download envince|kpdf|okular
> for free' button. Don't forget that many people use an inferior OS just
> out of convenience/marketing/whatever.

FYI, the FSFE has started such initiative:

  http://wiki.fsfe.org/Free-PDF-Readers-Campaign

The discussion started in July 2008 on the FSFE discussion mailing list,
but unfortunately the archive is available to subscribers only:

Recently, a dedicated mailing list was setup: