Re: NEW processing

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 05:03:49PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > I submit that lintian warnings are entirely out of scope for the task the
> > project has entrusted to the ftp team, and that mentioning this at all as a
> > factor in making the NEW queue "painless" indicates there's a problem with
> > the process as implemented.

> > - lintian *warnings* are those points that even the lintian maintainers are
> >   not confident are always indicative of bugs.  There's really no reason for
> >   the ftp team to look at these as a condition for NEW acceptance.

> Minor correction: lintian warnings are those points that the Lintian
> maintainers are either not confident are indicative of bugs or indicate
> bugs that are not severity important or higher.

Right - sorry for the imprecision.

> > - Even with lintian errors, there are many that are definitely bugs but
> >   which should not be grounds for a reject from the archive because they're
> >   *minor* bugs, and the ftp team should not be in the business of enforcing
> >   lintian cleanness as a condition of acceptance into the archive because
> >   this is (and always will be) a false measure of package quality.[1]

> There should be no minor-severity bugs that result in lintian errors.  If
> there are, that's a bug in Lintian.  Please report it.  The lowest
> threshold that produces an E tag is severity: important, likelihood:
> possible.

I know this is the current lintian policy on E vs. W, but that this wasn't
the case historically.  Is this the case for lintian 1.24?  I believe that's
the version in use on ftp-master currently.  (It also appears to be the
version that will be shipping with lenny?)

And even under the new classification, "possibly important" bugs are still a
far cry from things that should be treated as reasons for rejects, IMHO.