Re: volunteers wanted for driving/finalizing a DEP on debian/copyright format

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 10:52:39AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 11:49:25AM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> > As one of the primary contributers to the copyright proposal I would obviously
> > like to be involved in its ratification. I am guessing some of the other main
> > contributers would like to be involved too.
>
> > To get this started we need a mailing list and a repository, then we can place a
> > notice on the wiki directing people to the mailing list and make the wiki page
> > immutable so that there is no confusion.
>
> Why do you need a separate mailing list for a single proposal?  Please
> discuss this on debian-devel or debian-project, which are already perfectly
> adequate lists for this.

We have struggled enough with the proposal as it is. My fear is that discussing
it on debian-devel will open it up to "fire-and-forget" criticism that lacks
context of previous discussions, is poorly thought out, results in spiralling
threads and contributes little to the effort. If there was some dedicated forum
for discussing this, even if this was simply a DEP mailing list, I think it
would encourage thoughtful and committed contributions from all involved.

> (Not on debian-legal, which is these days beset with wankers with no technical
> experience in Debian who don't need to be allowed to leave their stink on
> proposals that affect the contents of every Debian package.)

Is this language entirely appropriate or constructive?