Re: Why is acroread so popular?

* Petter Reinholdtsen:

> [Gunnar Wolf]
>> But anyway, and knowing this is not an Ubuntu list... Does anybody
>> know why on Earth is Acroread popular? Why isn't a PDF regularly
>> handled in a saner way with Evince (or kde-based lookalike) in some
>> distributions?
>
> It is also popular in Debian.  I asked the same question over at
> debian-edu@, and got a lot of replies.  I recommend looking at
> <URL:http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-edu@lists.debian.org/msg13528.html>
> for that thread.

For the record, I don't want Debian to be associated with Adobe
Reader, even if it's only through non-free.  It's very hard to provide
any security support for Adobe software whatsoever because of their
absurd distribution policy (which may not be directly their fault
because they might have patent licenses with per-copy royalties, but
still).