Re: what about a unofficial public community repo? (was: Re: qmail and related packages in NEW)

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 23:57 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 28 November 2008 22:42, William Pitcock wrote:
> > I think issues like these call for an unsupported repository outside of
> > Debian, but publicized within the community as an unofficial repository
> > for things like qmail, packages unwanted in Debian proper for the time
> > being, etc.
>
> debian-unofficial.org

There's a few problems with debian-unofficial.org, as I see it:

1. It has the same quality requirements as Debian proper in terms of
packaging and code quality -- in my way of interpreting things, qmail
would not be acceptable here;
2. I believe, but may be wrong, that daniel@d.o is the only person who
can actually add anything to it. So if daniel does not like qmail for
example, it would not be added.

What I propose is something more along the lines of Gentoo's "sunrise"
overlay... a repository that anyone can get upload access to provided
that they understand basic Debian policy and have established that they
will be non-malicious (likely through some sort of indirect uploading
for a few months). Basically a true *community* repo.

This would likely be with the packaging source being maintained in SVN,
so that there is a large amount of transparency in the maintenance
process.

William