Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 01:02:42AM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > >  * There are 14 pages and the navigation is truncated to 'Page: 1 2
> > > 3 .. 14 >'. Could you (optionally) display links to all pages? Or
> > > alter the number of results per page (increase, or make user
> > > configurable)?
> >
> > I'll change the pager radius to 10. Will be fixed in the next
> > deployment.
>
> Actually, in the long run I don't think it will be a good idea of
> having all pages link, but a radius increase is good.

Seconded.

> But this brings me to another idea:
>
> Given how short the current package listing pages are, how about
> adding an extra column showing right away in the browsing table the
> "most popular" screenshot, with the same super-cool effect which is
> then used in the per-package page?  That would add the benefit of
> browsing "visually" through packages.  Of course the same could be
> done for the search result page.

I got asked whether I could create a table of packages with the thumbnails
shown already (or perhaps a checkbox to enable that in the usual table).
That would save some clicking and navigating.

> According to my understanding of the frameworks like Pylons, that
> would impact a bit on performances, as you'd have to pre-fetch some
> screenshots, but given the current size of lists it can be acceptable,
> can't it?

Perhaps I can put a Squid in front if that really affects performance.
Until the service is heavily used and linked from packages.d.o I don't
expect much load though.

> Also, I fail to understand if the screenshots are indexed per
> binary-package or per source-package. Given you link to package.d.o I
> presume the former, but then have you thought about how to reconcile
> screenshots coming from different binary packages? Should they?

Currently it's per binary package. It has the advantage that users (who are
the main beneficians from the screenshots service IMHO) don't care about
source packages but want to see screenshots for the packages they can
install in synaptic or aptitude. Some of the binary packages (e.g. *-data
or *-dbg) don't really need screenshots. I'm working with Enrico's nifty
debtags soon to fix that.

 Christoph