Re: DFSG violations in Lenny: Summarizing the choices

Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> Another consequence of making it easy for the users to add non-free to
> the repositories so they can download firmware necessary to make their
> hardware useful is that a huge number of users may end up enabling
> non-free just to make their hardware work, and then they may end up
> installing even more non-free packages on their system.

This is actually true for me. I would like to keep away non-free
software from my system, but I also want to receive updates for the
package firmware-iwlwifi, so I have to add the non-free section. For
me firmware is just something different and it might be a good thing
to have a seperate section for that.