Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:05:32PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> it took a little longer than I expected but I finally launched
> 	http://screenshots.debian.net

First of all thanks a lot for the effort, the result is already really
cool and in perspective it is amazingly useful!

> Have fun and let me know what you think.

On the guidelines:

- You state that screenshot will be released under the same term of
  the screenshot-ed package, why so? It seems to me rather arbitrary
  and makes impossible to bundle all screenshot together on a media
  and distribute them under a consistent license.

  Suggestion: just name a license and stick to it.

Then an usability comment: the only link under each screenshot is
"request removal". IMO it is too "tempting", because it is the large
and because it is the only link. Suggestion: replace it with the
classical "X" icon with a tooltip, and make it "less important" by
adding some other link, e.g., the suggested link to
packages.debian.org.

Out of curiosity, do you already have an API for accessing screenshot
data externally? I guess the packages.d.o are interested in that, and
for sure I'm interested in that to add a TODO item in the PTS for
missing screenshots (probably just for some class of packages, we'll
see).

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right