Re: Announcement: Debian Pure Blends news

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 11:53 +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2008/11/10 Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>:
>
> > We realised that the old name Custom Debian Distributions just sended
> > the wrong message to outsiders: The conclusion that CDDs are something
> > else than Debian was to "obvious" if people did not read the relevant
> > documentation.  So we finally found a raw consensus for a new name:
> >
> >        Debian Pure Blends
>
> I'm not exactly sure that I like the new name, to be honest.

I'm confused by the new name - what are we blending and why confuse
"Pure" and "Blend" in the same name?

Emdebian is a customised Debian too - we will have two flavours soon, a
functionally-identical but smaller Debian based on Squeeze (Emdebian
Grip) and a maximally reduced flavour with functional changes called
Emdebian Crush.

http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/flavours.html

I was never particularly clear on why "Custom" was a bad name to use.
There is Debian and there are variations of Debian that are customised
for particular roles. Within those variations, flavours and sub-projects
also exist.

I can't see the reasoning for "Pure" "Blends" - doesn't make any sense
to me.

--

Neil Williams