Re: Leverage in licensing discussions (was: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations)

Hello David,

Am 2008-11-07 08:35:16, schrieb David Bremner:
> At Fri, 7 Nov 2008 00:27:13 +0100,
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
> > And  as  I
> > have already written, I do not know HOW OpenMoko will solv this problem,
> > but FreeRunner/OpenMoko or PurpleMagic are not allowd to run  in  Europe
> > with Open Source GSM-Firmware.  And of  course,  PurpleMagic  has  never
> > respond to my three E-Mails and one Letter. (they are in France)
>
> I spent 5 minutes reading the OpenMoko wiki and mailing lists, and it
> seems to me that they do not have open source firmware for the GSM
> modem.  The reasons given (essentially the fragility of the GSM
> network) more or less agree with what you write.  If this is what you
> meant to write, it was not successfully communicated to me.

Sorry, I am not nativ english spaker...
And yes is is what I have meant...

And there are several 100 cases where in general the projects  are  100%
open, but for some security reasons there are major parts NOT  OPEN  and
since such software/firmware is the KEY of the  device,  it  is  useless
without the blob.

Maybe Debian should allow (very exceptionel) such sensible  software  to
ship in main together with the Main-Software...

My Hardware is no exception...

The Debian non-free firmware case affect several 100 products  worldwide
and since every month they are mor hardware running GNU/Linux on it...

GSM is becoming cheaper and for example here in France if you wan to get
an appartment it is limited to one year in many cases and you mas  renew
it each jear...  Here installing ADSL cos  every  time  you  change  the
location 50 Euro Extra...  You have to wait 2-6 weeks to  get  ADSL  and
much more problems...

The only solution is GSM/UMTS.

Now, if non-free is not on the CD/DVD or the firmware is not shiped with
main you are unable to install Debian on a TablePC or such  because  you
can not access the internet...

This situation is realy shit!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)