Re: DFSG violations: non-free but no contrib

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
        But there is less pressure on the author, since they are getting
 paid, since people who want to run debian hassle free will by their
 hardware anyway.

        I think that the same argument would have helpd for including
 netscape in main as Alex Yukhimets was arguing back in '97. There might
 be short term gain in popularity by letting the line shift on freedom
 (heck, windows still is the dominant OS for a reason).
I think we need to be sure that the pressure is towards option C, and not from B to A.

We might find vendors get the wrong message: "We want to able to to use your product with Debian out of the box", which swings them towards the "easier" option A (closed firmware distributed on ROM), not option C (open firmware with source).

Brian May