Sun RPC libraries and other stories

I'm here at ApacheCon with Simon Phipps and he said that Sun would be "delighted to help Debian resolve the RPC licensing problems". He wanted to note that the Free Software Definition did not exist at the time when Sun released to the community and they couldn't have predicted that it would violate the DFSG. Considering when it was released, its very open. He also noted that Sun hasn't pursued any legal action in all this time and that is a good indicator of their position on the whole thing.

All we need to do is get Simon a diff of what changes we need made and he will help us make the arrangements. In short, Sun is all for Debian keeping the RPC code in libc6 or the kernel and will do what is necessary to make it happen.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315