Re: DFSG violations: non-free but no contrib

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 09:17:56AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Anything which we propose to distribute as part of Debian must
> > follow the DFSG rules; otherwise, we violate our promises in the
> > Social Contract. There's nothing special about the
> > *vendor-intended use* of a collection of bits that exempts it from
> > the standard that we apply to the rest of the operating system.
>
> I think you've made that point clear now, thanks.

I'd love it if that were true; then there wouldn't be fallacious
statements about “everyone agrees some bitstreams are special, so
deserve special standards of freedom”.

--
 \     “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to |
  `\    persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” —Carl |