Re: Possibility for dependencies against specific kernel modules

On Friday 31 October 2008 22:20:26 Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 31 octobre 2008 à 12:44 +0100, Bastian Blank a écrit :
> > Because of some recent events, I thought about the possibility for
> > packages to depend against kernel module packages. As we don't want to
> > dictate the usage of Debian provided kernels, we need a last resort
> > fallback to the modules source.
>
> I think this is something good to have, but I’m skeptical about the
> fallback to the source. It will, in unstable and sometimes in testing or
> even stable, to situations where the modules are not available for a
> while, and the source will get installed, leaving the system in a broken
> state. Unless the source can use DKMS or a similar mechanism to
> automatically generate modules, this is not very reliable.

fwiw, I have tried to address the issue of having $module-source packages
have their binary product built and installed rather transparently, you may
look at the initial hackwork at:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/fullstory/dmakms/trunk/
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/fullstory/dmakms/trunk/debian/README.Debian

It's the start of a solution for: #299727

dmakms has got technical flaws, I know, but it works well enough for my current
needs (without patching existing tools such as module-assistant, which could
probably do with some lovin'), maybe it could be extended and fixed up to be
technically better and useful for others.

Thanks, Kel.