Packaging team best practice

Hello,

I have been having some discussion with a member of the Erlang packaging team
about best practice and comparing this with the Python Modules packaging team.

The two teams approach things slightly differently...

Python Modules

  * The focus is on individual maintainership

  * Uploaders is always set to the team email address

  * Maintainer is generally set to the email address of the primary person
    maintaining the package even though as a team the package is sometimes
    edited by other people

  * The entire team's packages can be seen using:

    http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org

  * Example package, sponsored upload:

    http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-couchdb.html

Erlang:

  * The focus is on collaborative maintainership

  * Uploaders is always set to the developer(s) uploading/sponsoring the package

  * Maintainer is generally set to the team address for the core packages even
    though only certain members of the team may be actively maintaining it

  * Maintainer is set to the email address of the primary person maintaining the
    package for non-core packages even though as a team the package is sometimes
    edited by other people

  * Consequentially, only some of the packages can be seen using:

    http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=erlang-pkg-devel@lists.berlios.de

  * Example core package, non-sponsored upload:

    http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/erlang.html

  * Example non-core package, sponsored upload:

    http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/couchdb.html

Clearly some teams will organise differently, and that's fine, but it would be
nice if we could agree a set of guidelines for using the Maintainer/Uploaders
fields consistently across teams.

This would, at least, make using the Quality Assurance reports more useful.

The closest thing I could find to a set of packaging team guidelines is:

  http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Guidelines

Nothing is mentioned in relation to this issue.

Thoughts? Feedback? Am I missing some existing documentation?

Many thanks,

--
Noah Slater, http://bytesexual.org/nslater