Re: package deviates from standard mail-transport-agent dependency.

Steve Langasek schrieb:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:29:35AM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?submitter=andreas%40fatal.se
>
>>> Your packag depends on postfix | mail-transport-agent. Exim (v4) is generally
>>> considered the default mta in Debian and is also the package providing
>>> mail-transport-agent which has the highest priority.
>>> Is there any particular reason why your package needs to deviate from
>>> which mta is pulled in by default? If not, could you please consider
>>> streamlining your package with the rest so we have a uniform behaviour in
>>> debian?
>
>> Where did you discuss this mass filing of (useless) bugs before you
>> submitted them?
>
> In particular, these bugs are *contrary* to the developing consensus in the
> thread at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/05/msg00381.html ff.

What was the developing consensus? Reading the thread again, it wasn't
clear to me, if it was fixing apt to take priorities into account,
providing a default-mta package or a separate mechanism [1] to specify
the default for virtual packages.

I'd be very much interested in the outcome of this discussion, because
I, as maintainer of rsyslog, notice the same issue with regard to the
sysklogd -> rsyslog switch.
Although we have switched to rsyslog as default syslog, a lot of
packages still depend on sysklogd | system-log-daemon.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/05/msg00408.html
universe are pointed away from Earth?