Needs help: CJK Debian users will not be able to read PDF with poppler-data in default Debian Desktop in Lenny

Hi list,

 I'm worry about CJK Debian users will not be able to read PDF with
 poppler-data in default Debian Desktop environment.

 Now, in etch, if you want to view Japanese PDF file, you'll install
 xpdf-japanese and cmap-adobe-japan1 and cmap-adobe-japan2 package,
 then launch evince (default GNOME PDF viewer) or something.

 But evince was changed. We need poppler package (depends on libpoppler-glib3)
 to view PDF files, and if you want to view Japanese PDF file, you
 also need to install poppler-data - but it is NOT in Debian yet.

 Yes, poppler-data is non-free one, but many PDF needs Adobe CMap to
 show CJK characters... so many non-English (especially CJK) Debian
 users are affected.

 If lenny is released in this condition, CJK Debian Desktop users
 cannot view PDF files by default (maybe they just googling and find
 any solutions for this, but it's clue).

 I hope our Debian users (at least over 2000, see default font in Debian
 Japanese Desktop in popcon, http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=ttf-vlgothic)
 would feel good when they use Debian. How do we deal with this issue?
 Please let me know...

 And I deal with this by making local package and use it.
 It is ITPed (see #453172), but not uploaded yet. So, sponsors are welcome :)
 see http://bugs.debian.org/453172 and you can get it from mentors
 repository at http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/p/poppler-data/poppler-data_0.2.0-1.dsc .

 Or Junichi Uekawa (dancer, you know pbuilder author) suggest other way
 to fix this issue. See http://bugs.debian.org/481134
 He'll go to debconf8 (I cannot go), so please discuss him how to fix
 this issue.

 #O.T.
   I think that we should make new component like "spec" such as some
   specifications that is not need to modify, like RFC, Unicode or some
   character maping data, law documents, etc.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane