Re: Not stopping daemons, where are we?

Hi,

I've been refraining from sending any patches on this subject since
this thread started. I'd like to start sending them again so that
both Debian and Ubuntu can benefit. However, I'm not sure whether
this thread has reached a resolution such that I can do so.

Please allow me to attempt to answer my own questions.

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 16:29 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> Therefore I'd like to ask a few questions:
>
>   1. Are there any objections to the approach that have not already
>      been raised in the thread?

It doesn't appear so.

>   2. Does anyone feel that the objections mean that this approach
>      should not be adopted?

It doesn't appear so.

>   3. Are these changes appropriate for this stage of the release cycle?

Obviously not. I realise that any bugs I file now will have to sit
unfixed until lenny is released (ignoring experimental). Is that
going to be a problem? I hope that maintainers won't mind having
one extra bug with patch open on their package during a freeze.

I would post a dd-list of the packages affected, but I don't have
a complete list available to do so. I would obviously prefer to just
submit these patches individually (and allow others to do so), is
submitting the list up front a hard requirement? dev-ref requests
it, but isn't clear.

Thanks,

James