Re: Screenshots of GUI applications (again)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:05:03PM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> the matter has been discussed at least twice already. Roberto C. Sanchez
> brought the matter back up in January 2008.

On d-d? I can't find that thread in the list archives...

I would like to raise the issue of licensing. Is a screenshot a
derivative work from which it is taken? Could it therefore fall
under the same license as the parent (or in the case of the GPL,
have to fall under the same license)?

I've heard it mentioned that screenshots could be considered quoting
under "fair use". I'm not sure what fair use grants you and whether it
preserves DFSG freedoms.

Of course, the content need not be DFSG-compatible if it is hosted on a
website, but it would seem to me that it is very desirable for it to be.

This issue is also being discussed in #487218 against games-thumbnails
(which puts the screenshots in the archive).

--
Jon Dowland