Re: Screenshots of GUI applications (again)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Christoph Haas wrote:
> - Propose a new optional debian/control field "X-Screenshot:" pointing to
>   an URL serving an image file (PNG, JPG)
>   [debian-devel-announce as soon as we are ready?]

You don't need/want such a field. It serves no practical purpose. There's
no reason to tie this information with the package's life. Screenshots
should be able to evolve independently and shouldn't have to wait until
the package is uploaded to be displayed/usable.

You also probably want to have multiple screenshots for each application
to preview all the important screens.

And last, I like to remind the few reflexions we had when we discussed
a framework for all kinds of (user-contributed) meta-informations during
Debconf 6:
http://wiki.debian.org/CRMI

It might give you some ideas if you want to work on something more generic
that includes the screenshots DB.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog