Re: FHS and /var/www

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:35:09PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> The FHS is pretty amusing on this topic:

Agreed ...

>   Distributions must take care not to remove locally placed files in these
>   directories (/srv/*) without administrator permission. [20]
>
>   [20] This is particularly important as these areas will often contain both
>        files initially installed by the distributor, and those added by
>        the administrator.
>
> So the FHS allows a package to install files to /srv (with care), but
> they cannot be removed when the package is -- so it would be a very

... but I've a lighter interpretation of the text you quoted: a package
can for example have a configuration dialog upon removal (or maybe only
upon purging) that ask whether or not to remove stuff placed under /srv.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the