Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Xen status in lenny?

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 13:08, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> How/if we will support Xen in lenny is more a policy decision than a
> technical decision, even if it has important technical aspects.
>
> Even if it's not optimal, I agree with do-ocracy for technical
> decisions. However, using it for everything is dangerous. Instead, I
> prefer to:
> 1/ understand the situation
> 2/ determine the possible solutions
> 3/ determine the best solutions, given external constraints (inc.
>    manpower)
> 4/ try to find someone to do the work
>
> Throwing "you are not going to do the work anyway, so you are
> irrelevant" at everybody is not helpful at all, and just adds noise to
> the discussion, because we are still between stages 2 and 3 here.

I find it a pity that your mail doesn't contain any argumentation for your
postulations. For a start, I don't think it's obvious that this is a policy
decision, nor that a "do-ocracy is dangerous" in a general sense.

Xen is just one solution to virtualisation. I may agree that a general
decision to support virtualisation on Debian could be a policy decision, but
whether we'll support one specific technology, for which there are many
alternatives, is very much a technical decision. Does it work, can we get it
to work and do we have the people to keep it work after release?

Thijs