Considerations for lilo removal

Hi,

I am wondering if it is a good idea to remove lilo entirely. At the
moment, lilo has been pulled from testing, and the code is in a shape
where a grave bug (bug #479607) is unlikely fixable without severe
refactoring of the codebase.

With grub being stable and grub2 approaching stability itself, do we
really need lilo anymore? It's not even installed by default anymore,
and the only systems I have that are still on lilo are installations of
Debian I have had since Woody.

It seems like moving to grub for everything may be a good choice on the
archs where lilo is used.

If we do not need lilo, then I will file a RM bug in the next couple of
weeks.

William