virtual package 'editor' revisited

Hi,

I'd like to bring up that topic again[1][2][3], just in time for Lenny.

Although there's been some talk about this time and again, I am
still waiting for a final settlement...

root@hejre:~# for DEP in Provides Depends Recommends Suggests; do \
> echo -n "$DEP: "; grep-available -sPackage -F$DEP editor | wc -l; done
Provides: 29
Depends: 8
Recommends: 3
Suggests: 8

* debian-policy:virtual-package-names-list.txt does not list editor
  (but has a log entry of its removal back in Nov 1996)

* IMHO those 29 packages don't qualify as "privately cooperating packages" ;-)

So which way to go? I'd like to get this over with and close #398752...
I don't really care which way, but at least we could get back into
consistent state (i.e. either change the list or a few packages).

Regards,

Jan

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=398752
[2]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/11/msg00637.html