Re: Large data packages in the archive

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:18:01PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> So assume we go for solution c. (which is what happens unless someone
> has a *very* strong reason not to, which I currently can't imagine) we
> will setup a seperate archive for this. This will work the same way as
> our main archive does, with a few notable points:
>
>  - It will be solely arch:all, not splitted per architecture. Or, if
>    someone presents *good* reasons why a data archive needs to be
>    architecture-aware, we will also offer this, but *NO* autobuilder
>    support will be provided.
>    This is meant as a place for large datasets, and those should be
>    arch independent. And would kill many autobuilders (think of binary
>    packages having 500, 800 or more megabytes!)

Will the archive be organized in main/contrib/non-free sections?
And what will be the ratios about that? There are software in main
which could depend(*) on non-free data or viceversa contrib software
which would depend on free datasets and so on. That should be discussed.

(*) please intend 'depending' in its weakly form :)

--
Francesco P. Lovergine