Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 16/05/08 at 17:54 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > In the general case, I do believe that the new source package format "3.0
> > (quilt)" will help as all Debian specific changes will always end up in
> > debian/patches/.
>
> If I understand things correctly (but I'm really not sure I do), 3.0
> (quilt) won't really help with that: it won't prevent maintainers to
> directly modify files outside of debian/ , and generate a huge
> debian/patches/debian-changes-version.diff.

Yes but:
1/ you usually don't modify many files for many unrelated change in the
same upload
2/ that process is rather meant for NMU
3/ we can have a lintian warning to discourage this practice if we think
the maintainer should better rename the patch and

> It seems to me that what we need to do is decide that using dpatch or
> quilt is the way to go (with properly commenting individual patches).
> It's a social problem, not a technical one.

Oh sure, but the standardization that v3 quilt can bring will help a lot.

> Should we wait for the switch to the new source format to create
> patches.debian.org? It sounds like a better idea to write it in a way
> that makes it work with both format 1.0 and 3.0 (quilt). Maybe work from
> the extract source...

I don't want to stop anyone... feel free to start right now. :-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog