Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 05:08:31PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I am not sure I can agree. I find examining a single patch deep
>  down in a quilt series very hard, unless I learn and use quilt, since
>  the patches are all linearized, and each patch is dependent on th
>  previous patch.

I don't think this ("each patch is dependent on the previous patch") is
true for even a tiny fraction of Debian patches to upstream sources.
Most patches I saw are independent from each other, and only for very
involved packages with lots of patches this can become an issue for
understanding things.

Then again, if one patch depends on another, it should probably be noted
in the metadata as well.

Michael