Re: Package maintenance in $HOME os an NFS share? (best practices survey)

On Mittwoch, 23. April 2008, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:58:26 +1000, Ben Finney
>
> <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> >Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> writes:
> >> So I'm wondering what other developers do. Are you using NFS at all?
> >> Are you putting all your work under repository control and check the
> >> files out to a local disk and back in to the server?
> >
> >I choose Bazaar <URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/> where possible for
> >version control of my software projects.
>
> Am I the only one who finds answering a question a la "tool A is my
> tool of choice, but it doesn't do a tiny little detail just as I want
> it to do, can it be tweaked" with "use tool B, it's superior anyway"
> totally unconstructive and also a little offensive?

Honestly I didn't find anything offensive in Ben's reply. And I'm usually
easily offended. :) I'm a Mercurial evangelist but I'm sure that the basic
concepts and features of decentralized revision control systems are
similar with Bazaar-NG, Mercurial, Darcs and Git.

The interesting idea is that some people do not seem to use NFS but instead
check out repositories from their "file servers". That's surely in the
spirit in DRCSs but for most data like e.g. personal correspondence
(OpenOffice letters) or camera pictures (many gigabytes of JPEGs) checking
repositories is inappropriate.

Cheers
 Christoph