Re: mass ITPs

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 08:49:05PM +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> I figured out that all newcomers are required to have contributions in
> Debian, which means *new packages*.

Not at all.  They must maintain at least one (but preferrably more)
packages (if they want to do packaging).  They may be team-maintained,
and it is particularly suggested to them that they may adopt orphaned
packages.

In other words, browsing wnpp for RFH and O/RFA bugs is just as good as
(and often better than) adding a new package.

> Shouldn't we think about other alternatives in order to enforce contributions
> besides creating packages ?

If people want to do packaging for Debian, I think it is reasonable that
they show contributions in that area.  We don't actually require it for
people who want to work on infrastructure or translations, for example.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html