Re: Bits from DEHS

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:07:07PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> * New upstream version notifications
> Since yesterday DEHS started sending notifications to the 'summary'
> tag/keyword of the PTS when it finds a new upstream version.

Was this blessed by the PTS admins before it was deployed?

I find it completely pointless to have DEHS telling me about new upstream
releases of packages I maintain.  I already track upstream mailing lists for
my packages, and have no interest in being bombarded with automatic notices
of this kind.  But to my dismay, not only are these messages being sent
using a PTS keyword that's enabled by maintainers by default, they're being
sent using a PTS keyword that was already being used for other, relevant
notices that I *can't* subscribe to elsewhere.

So now I have to choose between not receiving notifications when my packages
transition to testing, or having to filter out messages locally that I never
asked to receive; and I have to actively opt out of these DEHS mails that
should be completely redundant for any maintainer who is already tracking
upstream as they ought.  I understand that this is an easy way to enable
maintainers to track upstream releases when they aren't already, but for
those of us who are already involved with upstream it's completely
redundant.