Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 06:52:56PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 27/02/08 at 11:33 +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > I'm not completely persuaded this is correct. Someone should explain
> > why an existing contributor does not concentrate his/her efforts on
> > the choosen project instead of wasting time in other tasks

> Because all DDs are human, tend to have very large TODO list, and if
> given more time, tend to work on their TODO list first? I'm not saying
> that students that were DD did nothing of their time during GSoc, but
> most of them failed their projects, which defeats the purpose of GSoc,
> makes the GSOC organizers unhappy, and will probably cause Debian to
> have less slots this year again.

Er, by what metric have these students "failed" their projects?

  The summer has finished, and it's about time I summarised how we got
  on. We had 9 Summer of Code students working for us, and we had a 100%
  success rate this year. Woo! Last year we only managed 6 successful
  projects out of 10, so that's a major improvement.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/10/msg00001.html

I really can't figure out what you're saying, here.  AFAICS, we had
significantly *better* results when choosing GSoC projects submitted by
existing Debian contributors.  Where are these failures you're talking
about?