Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On 27/02/08 at 14:04 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I partly agree here.  For instance it might be hard to find out a
> reasonable task that fits the skills and interests of the student
> out of the pure description if he is not involved in Debian before.

Then fix the task or its description? I'm sure we can find plenty of
nice improvements to Debian that don't require very high skills or
knowledge of the internals of Debian.

> I would regard
> GSoC as a reasonable means to stress the tasks we would really
> like to have done and encourage people to tackle them.

I consider that the main goal of GSOC is a social one: let new people
learn about free software projects. If we start to depend on Google
funding our developers through GSOC to get some important things done,
that probably raises some very interesting questions.