Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On 27/02/08 at 11:33 +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> I'm not completely persuaded this is correct. Someone should explain
> why an existing contributor does not concentrate his/her efforts on
> the choosen project instead of wasting time in other tasks

Because all DDs are human, tend to have very large TODO list, and if
given more time, tend to work on their TODO list first? I'm not saying
that students that were DD did nothing of their time during GSoc, but
most of them failed their projects, which defeats the purpose of GSoc,
makes the GSOC organizers unhappy, and will probably cause Debian to
have less slots this year again.

> , and why a new contributor should not do that. I think it is a
> management problem, not a choice of contributors.

I agree that part of the problem is probably a management problem.
However, we cannot blame the managers/mentors here: it's difficult
enough to manage people working remotely, possibly in a different
timezone, and for free (students are paid for their time, not their
mentors).